One Plastic Bag at a Time

Money can't buy me love - but it can buy other things

Like freedom from guilt.

As I sit here in Day 2 of my heat hibernation, (current temperature in Central Park - 98 degreees) I am not drinking shade grown iced coffee, the air-conditioning is on, and I drove to the gym this morning. My husband brought home two items from the supermarket in a plastic bag (and one of those things was in turn, in a plastic bag).

Oh, the horrors.

What is an eco-friendly girl supposed to do?

Buy my way out of it, of course. I'll buy a Tradable Renewable Certificate, otherwise known as a green tag.

A what?

Read more about it by clicking here. Basically, I'm offsetting the power I'm using by buying green power.

Although I don't know how much good those certificates will do me when ConEd cuts the power off today - it's already happened in the neighborhood adjacent to mine, so I'm bracing myself for the worst.

Keep your fingers crossed!