One Plastic Bag at a Time

The best of intentions

This post is not going to be about anything environmental, because I have been quite distracted this week. After you hear why, I think you'll understand.

Here in New York, we're supposed to act blasé about everything, like we've seen it all before. Nothing impresses us. Not the craziest of crazies, couples shrieking at each other and breaking up on the sidewalk (and then making up one block later - get a room people!), Wall Street guys sitting on a bench passing a joint back and forth, or dogs who are better groomed and accessorized than most people I know (myself included).

And definitely not celebrities or film productions. Perhaps it's the ridiculous self-importance of any idiot with a badge hanging around his neck and a walkie talkie, or the obnoxious condescending attitude that $75 a day production assistant has to muster to kid himself that he is anything more than the modern day equivalent of a piss boy.

We take jaded to a whole new level. But our dirty little secret is that sometimes, we are a little impressed. Just a little. It's easy not to be impressed when you see Andy Dick in front of your office, but another when it's Chris Noth (whom I winked at. I couldn't resist.)

So all week I've been passing by the production and lighting trucks parked all over my neighborhood, complaining like a good New Yorker about the cables on the sidewalk, the lack of parking, and the smell from vehicles that come every morning to empty out the sewage from the trailers.

Sure, there have been a few celeb sightings by my friends - Bette Midler. Helen Hunt. Colin Farrell. Pretty big stars, you have to admit, but nothing I'd go out of my way for.

But Colin Firth? That's a whole other story. Because it turns out that my friend's husband, who reported seeing Colin Farrell, actually saw Colin Firth. A mistake only a man would make.

Since finding out this info, we've been on the prowl for the delectable Mr Darcy, to no avail. Direct inquiries to the crew have been met with assurances that his portion of the shooting is completed and he is no longer on set.

Then again, that's probably what they tell all the drooling lust-crazed mommies inquiring as to his whereabouts.