One Plastic Bag at a Time

Easy my ass

As part of my new greener lifestyle there are times I do things that are inconvenient in order to do something good for the environment.

In the case of recycling ink toner cartridges, this involves a mile walk to the closest Staples (store #0147), where my greeniness (not to be confused with truthiness) used to be rewarded with a $3 coupon for each cartridge I returned.

Imagine my surprise then when I went to Staples yesterday and was told by the girl at the service counter that they are no longer recycling Staples ink cartridges. Yes, that's right, they are accepting the name brand ones, Canon, HP, etc., but not their own.

"What am I supposed to do with these?" I asked. "Throw them out, I guess," was the reply. The girl then proved to be oh-so-helpful and took my cartridges and threw them in a bin under the counter, where I had seen her toss several other laser toner cartridges at the behest of another employee.

Funny, because the Staples for Eductation website says that they will recycle all cartridges, regardless of whether or not you get the $3.

So unless Staples has come up with some miracle process where used cartridges magically migrate from the trash to a recycling bin, I think we've got a little disconnect here.

Practice what you preach. That's what I call easy. Until then, it's only Canon cartridges for me.