One Plastic Bag at a Time

Take your bag and shove it!

How many plastic bags does it take to carry three 2-liter soda bottles one block?

According to the brainiacs at the local supermarket, four.

I had high hopes for my local supermarket, formerly known as the ghetto supermarket. The "international" aisle meant every Goya product ever made, you were greeted by the lovely order of cat pee when you walked in the door, and the bodega rules were in effect - you didn't buy anything that wasn't pre-packaged.

But with a change in ownership, things were looking up. No more mysterious movements in the bins of potatoes, imported beer means something more than Heineken and the meat doesn't look like it's going to show up on the next local news expose of expiration date alterations ... life was looking good except for one thing:

The staff hasn't changed.

We're still stuck with the same gum-cracking muppets who can barely work the register with their one-inch wrapped nails and who need me to tell them how much they owe me when I return six bottles.

You can imagine the response I got when I went to pick up my bag of groceries which consisted of three 2-liter bottles of soda and a small carton of Better n' Eggs (which, by the way, really are better than eggs) and discovered that I in fact had TWO bags. Each double bagged. One with ONE BOTTLE of soda in it.

One.

When I got the eyeroll from the checkout bimbo I wasn't embarrassed, I was pissed. I consolidated my bags into one, and huffed out of there with my head held high.

Let me tell you, do you know what they don't tell you about self-righteous indignation? It feels REAALLLLYY good!

Plastic bags saved: 2 (with 'tude!)