One Plastic Bag at a Time

The Big Picture

Since last week's post, I meant to post about the on-going saga about disposing of my now-defunct printer in a responsible way.

"The best laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley,"

So said Robert Burns in 1785 (translation: The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. I'm glad to see that 300+ years later that the Scots are still barely comprehensible). In other words, life has a funny way of getting in the way.

And so it goes. Three days after my last post, I had to make one of the most difficult decisions of my life and chose to put my pet of 14 years, Patrick, to sleep. As I've said privately, the most important lesson taught to me by my best friend, who happens to be a veterinary surgeon, is that sometimes truly loving your animal means knowing when it's time to let him go. And I am forever in her debt for that.

Then there are other losses that are beyond our control. Sometimes Mother Nature steps in and does her thing, reminding us that although at times breathtaking and beautiful, she can also be a heartlessly cruel mistress. The lesson to be learned from that?

When I find out, I'll let you know.