One Plastic Bag at a Time

Brooklyn Safari

Nature is truly an amazing thing. If you've ever watched vegetation take over an empty lot or seen plants busting out of the most unlikely places, you know that there's a lot more jungle in the urban jungle than you'd think.

We've got the flora, but the fauna is another story. Beyond the rats, feral cats and all sorts of nasty six legged insects, you don't normally come across anything too out of the ordinary.

Last night at around 11pm I had to run out to the bodega for some milk. As I ran back up the stairs I set off the motion sensitive floodlight on my stoop. As I'm unlocking my front door I have this funny feeling that someone is watching me so I look over my shoulder. No one there.

Then I look to my left and let out a shout. I was not alone.

At first I thought "Holy fuck, that is the biggest rat I have EVER seen." Then I realize it's no rat.

It's a possum.

Yes, a real live possum, chilling on my landlord's outdoor furniture. In a million years, I never thought I'd see a possum in Brooklyn, but there it was. I tried to take a picture with my cell phone but it didn't come out well enough to see what it was.

So there you have it, real live wildlife in Brooklyn. Not that I was all that thrilled - the possum is a pretty yucky looking animal with a nasty long rat tail. But not all creatures are going to be cute and cuddly and even the ugly ones have value too.

Pigeons on the other hand ... that's a whole other story for another post.

Until then, keep your eyes peeled, you never know what you'll see.