One Plastic Bag at a Time

Where, or where, will my printer go?

What did we do before Google? I went online this morning, searching for a environmentally correct way to dispose of my printer. The search phrase "recycle printer" returned over 4 million hits.

Four million hits! Surely, amongst all those sites, there would be a way to get rid of the printer in a responsible way.

The same Murphy's Law that will cause your printer to break the day you need to print an important document is the same one that reveals that the electronics recycling event in Brooklyn was LAST Saturday. (For more information on electronics recycling in New York City, click here. There is a recycling event in Queens, but after my last adventure driving in Astoria, I'm done with Queens ("What street do you live on? 32nd Avenue? 32nd Street? 32nd Place? The corner of 32nd Street and 31st street? What? Are you drunk?")

There's the Swap-o-rama-rama in Williamsburg ... but that's all clothes and I don't think I'm anywhere enough of a hipster to go to a swap event in Billyburg. Even if they were doing electronics, I can only imagine all the wrinkled noses, sneering and rolled eyes I'd get for my non-Macintosh printer. And what would I wear? I don't really have an ensemble in my closet that looks like I might have shopped out of a dumpster but actually cost hundreds of dollars.

A link from New York City's Wastele$$ site directs me to a list of printer vendors who will recycle their printers, and lo and behold, there is Canon.

In a brilliant bit of Dilbert-esque corporate logic, I have to print out a UPS label to recycle my non-working Canon printer. AND it's going to cost at least $12 to ship it and cover the costs of responsible printer disposal.

Finally, I have found Electronic Recycling Day in Manhattan this weekend. The PerScholas organization will be collecting working AND non-working electronics for rehab and/or responsible disposal for free (with a suggested contribution of $5 per item). (I started writing this post on Friday. I have, unfortunately, missed this event).

It's true what they say - it really isn't easy being green.

So if you know have any suggestions or information, feel free to email me. I'd appreciate it.